The 2020 municipal elections in Brazil were a first test for the government of President Jair Bolsonaro, who took office in January 2019. The current government has announced and initiated fundamental changes of direction in many policy areas. The Online Event Series brings together scholars from Brazil and Eu- rope to discuss the results of the November 2020 municipal elections in the context of the Brazilian political system, and to draw a bal- ance of the first two years of government un- der President Bolsonaro.
Format: six panels of approx. 90 minutes each. The panelists will first have 15 minutes to make an introductory statement on the topic, followed by a moderated discussion.
- February 26: "Winners and Losers of the 2020 Municipal Elections". Panelists:Claudio Couto, Fundação Getúlio Vargas and Rodrigo Rodrigues-Silveira
- March 5: The Party System between Fragmentation and Consolidation". Panelists: Bruno Speck, Universidade de São Paulo and George Avelino, fundação Getúlio
- March 12: "Domestic Politics and Social Movements". Panelists: Renata Motta, Freie Universität Berlin and Teresa Sacchet, Universidade Federal da Bahia
- March 19: "Foreign Policy and international Relations". Panelists: Britta Weiffen, Open University, Milton Keynes and Monica Herz (Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro
- April 9: " Government and Congress". Panelists: Fernando Limongi, Universidade de São Paulo/Fundação Getúlio Vargas and Timothy Power, University of Oxford
- April 16: "Government and Judiciary". Panelists: Luciano da Ros, Univerisdade Federal de Santa Catarina and Sérgio Costa, Freie Universität Berlin